Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: Long Shot by Hanna Martine


Long Shot
Long Shot by Hanna Martine

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



So I've been wrestling with a sinus infection for the last coupla days and despite the stack of manuscripts waiting for me, I wanted to read something that wasn't going to require much thinking.

Long Shot was perfect.

There was no obvious plot holes, no 'well, why doesn't character X just do this?,' no 'I've read this before,' no 'The world doesn't work that way,' and especially no '*eye rolls*.' I barely had to think at all, I could just enjoy the story. It was lovely.

Being me, I did have two thoughts. The first one was 'Aw, that's a sweet acknowledgements page.' The second was 'I'm impressed with how the author consistently takes a very-popular-to-the-point-of-cliche subgenre and puts a fresh spin on it.' If you're wondering about the difference in coherency, the last thought was towards the end and my next dose of medication had just kicked in. In any case, it's true. Liquid Lies took on paranormal romance and focused on a 'race/species' that's not usually seen. In Long Shot, we got that 'small town' feel that's so popular in contemporaries these days, but that wasn't the only setting we got. I was also very impressed by where Martine decided to take the ending. No worries, this is definitely still a romance, but Martine, well, let's say she went outside the traditional 'small town' boundaries.

There was an excerpt for the next book at the end and I was excited to see that it was going to be (highlight to read) Shea and Rugby Guy! I thought they had mad chemistry and I like that he's going to be a rough-n-tumbly kinda sweet. I think rugby may be the next big 'sports' thing. But Chris should have his own book too! *nods firmly*

Anyways, I recommend Long Shot for those cozy fall days when you just want to curl up under a blanket with a cuppa somethin' hot and sink into a book. Or just don't wanna think. Either way.


No comments:

Post a Comment