Friday, November 26, 2010

Weddings & Black Friday

As it turns out, I won't be working this Black Friday. Instead, I'll be trailing around after my sister-in-law-to-be while she picks up her wedding dress and goes shopping for my bridesmaid dress. There are quite a few romances, usually contemporaries, about a bride/sister of the bride/brother of the groom/bride's best friend/wedding planner/yadda yadda. However, I don't think I've ever read anything about the sister of the groom. The older sister, to boot. You occupy an odd place in the wedding hierarchy. You're classified as family, but since you're not really family yet and you're only in the party because she's marrying your little brother, you rank below her mother(s), her sister(s) and her best friend(s). Yes, my Black Friday will be spent in wedding shops.

I don't feel too guilty for abandoning my store because our foot traffic is usually spread out over the day. We rarely offer doorbusters or any sales that can compete with the other big box stores. Also, I've noticed that since the economy crashed, the sales usually get set-up on Wednesday. Then it's just a matter of swapping out the signage before opening on Friday. This makes our lives a little simpler and doesn't require us to show up at an ungodly hour on Friday morning.

I've really only done Black Friday shopping as an adult once. It was like a novelty. It was an interesting experience and, if I ever need to buy toys or large electronics, I'll probably do it again. For the time being, however, I shop on the Internet. What most people don't realize is that the same brands are on sale across the board. The manufacturers are the ones who determine what goes on sale and the range of discounts allowed. If you frequent a site like BlackFriday.info, you can see the pattern. For example, the Canon A3100 digital camera is on sale at Toys 'R Us, Amazon, Office Max and Best Buy for $99. I can buy it online for the same price as I would find it in the store without changing out of my comfty pajamas. You just have to know what you want and do a little research. A spin through Google Shopping  shows the likely tax and shipping costs, plus any other retailers you may have missed.

Books are an exception to this. A comparison of Bookstore's and Competitor Bookstore's Black Friday sales shows they have differing discounted books and coupons. E-books rarely qualify for Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals.

I'll leave you with a couple of my favorite wedding/marriage related romances.

My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding, ed. P. N. Elrod
The Bride Quartet, Nora Roberts
Keegan's Lady, Catherine Anderson
Wildest Heart, Jayne Ann Krentz
Saving Grace, Julie Garwood
Immortal in Death, J. D. Robb

No comments:

Post a Comment