Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker


Ten Tiny Breaths
Ten Tiny Breaths by K.A. Tucker

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Snagged from NetGalley.

I really liked the heroine of this one. She was different than most new adult heroines, as she was harder, more determined, and even stronger in a way. Kacey went through a horrific event and emerged with steel within her. I could actually relate to her and I saw a few pieces of myself on the page.

The hero, on the other hand, meh. Don't get me wrong, the tension between Trent and Kacey was palpable, but I knew from the blurb inside the book, the line about 'one explosive secret,' that Trent was somehow involved in the car crash. Knowing that, I felt like I was just biding my time, waiting for the grand reveal. However, I definitely didn't figure on him being quite so...troubled. Both characters are supposed to have PTSD and maybe I just empathized better with Kacey because I rather felt Trent checked out of the mental hospital too soon. Don't get me wrong, I do feel like Tucker did a good job of portraying the treatment of mental illness as an ongoing process. I think what it basically boils down to is that I can understand why Trent wanted to be with Kacey, but I didn't get why Kacey wanted to be with Trent.

The supporting characters were excellent. I always prefer it when an author chooses to focus on a few select supporting characters, allowing them to be full-fledged people rather than just scenery props, and she does the job admirably with Livie, Ben, Storm, and Storm's daughter.

I would recommend this to people looking for a slightly meatier and more complex On Dublin Street.


No comments:

Post a Comment