Friday, August 19, 2011

I miss Borders.

I was attempting to write some Leverage fanfic because I realized I've only written one fic all year. It's been a bitch of a year, chock full of good and bad, but incredibly stressful. I was kinda hoping that things would calm down after July, but you know what they say about best laid plans.

It appears, I'm still waiting on confirmation, but it appears I've worked my last scheduled shift at Borders. I might get called in if someone calls out sick, but otherwise I'm done. This is not precisely a shock because I did sorta know this was coming. I'm in a better position than many of my co-workers since I don't have a family and my full-time job is here at the library, so it makes sense for me to give up my hours for someone else who needs them. It'll also help my pocketbook because I was shopping during every shift and I was basically spending whatever money I was making.


It sucks, though. I miss it, miss it more than I thought I would. I read PW or the book section of Entertainment Weekly and I make mental note of what the 'big books' will be. I was reading Shelf Awareness or something similar one morning and there was this kid's book that made me go, 'I can totally sell that.' Then there's that moment of awareness when you go, 'Oh, yeah, right.' I miss the books, I miss my co-workers, I miss knowing what's hot, and I miss being able to read almost anything I wanted.

Still, I've been re-reading a lot lately. Mostly because I no longer have the sense of guilt about the stack of ARCs waiting for my attention, but also because all I want now are good books. I feel wounded and I just want the comfort of the familiar. This blog is helping, though. It gives me a sense of purpose and a place to dump all the romance opinions I've been sharing with the romance buyers for the last five years.


Of course, when Borders closes for good, you may just find me wandering around, wringing my hands together, my identity crisis complete. *sigh*


No comments:

Post a Comment