Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Sliding Home by Kate Angell

Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)Sliding Home by Kate Angell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a re-read for me. I saw it at the library when I went to pick up Strike Zone and I figured, 'Eh, why not?' Now that I've read it directly after Strike Zone, the improvement in Angell's writing is clearly evident.

Once again, there are two couples featured in the book. Kason and Dayne are the primary couple, reinforced by the cover blurb. The secondary couple is Revelle and Rhodes. In Sliding Home, Angell does a much better job of keeping the couples apart and of allowing the primary couple to be at the forefront for most of the book. I really liked the male characters. The antagonistic relationship between Psycho and Kason was excellent. It was nice to see them act like adults to get the job done, but not automatically become buddy-buddy.

The strongest parts of the books are, in my opinion, the baseball scenes. This time around, we get a look at the promotions office and a small glimpse on how an athlete ends up advertising for a company. The owner of the team cracks the whip a bit and how injuries affect a team. I also liked the fact the team spent most of the book on a losing streak. It felt real, given how many 'veterans' were injured. In addition, it was a clever way to introduce a new batch of characters.

I have a total craving for more baseball romances now. I will have to see if the library has the Jill Shalvis books and I found Boys Of Summer on Amazon. Changing the Game is also in my TBRs, but maybe I'll re-read Erin McCarthy's NASCAR series. The one good thing about losing my job at Borders is that I have a lot more time to read now...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment